Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Review of Sunrise



A surprisingly good film. I know I have said many times that movies don't age very well. Sunrise defies my blanket statement.

Sunrise surprised me. I had no idea that I could ever enjoy a silent film. As somebody who has lived his entire life in the era of sound, specifically the era of the blockbuster, I might naturally believe that films with sound, realistic sets and special effects are just BETTER than anything that could be produced in 1927. How wrong I was.

The sets and models, laughable by modern standards, simply melted into the background like they should in any stage play. I was perfectly willing to suspend my disbelief for the sake of the story. I simply wanted to find out what happened next and not once did I find myself scoffing at the studio sets, model city and water tank.

As for the sound, this really threw me for a loop. I'm a pretty auditory guy, so dialogue and sound are very important to me. Yet this was no hamper for my enjoyment. I wasn't counting, but the movie probably used only ten dialogue legends on the screen. TEN in an hour and a half! The rest was simply implied by the action. Amazing that the story could be told so lovingly through imagery only! Let this be a lesson to screenwriters! Film is a visual art form first and foremost. Dialogue is simply entertaining fluff. A story can be told without it.

I know I already mentioned I liked the story, but I'll mention it again. It was simple, touching and especially at the end, tear-jerking. There was a bizarre scene in the middle involving a pig, but I can't criticize it for that, mainly because one of my own screenplays has a bizarre scene involving a pig as well. Each scene flows lovingly into the next, somehow more affecting because of the visual style.

In short, the more I think about it, the more I love it.
4 1/2 sunrises out of 5

No comments: