Friday, August 24, 2007

Review of Pulp Fiction

I'm not sure I'm qualified to write a review of Pulp Fiction. After all, I'm very biased. As I was watching I realized just how well I knew the movie. It's not from seeing it that many times. It's just that all the conversations have been rehearsed and repeated so many times in my group of friends and in the media that I pretty well knew them off by heart. I felt a little bored watching it this time, which is hardly the fault of the movie.

What's with Quentin Tarantino and his continuity problems? They seem to happen a lot in his movies. For instance, the bullet holes are already in the wall before Jules and Vincent are assaulted with the hand-cannon. Then, at the end of that scene, everybody leaves without the briefcase.

I was reminded as I watched how violent Hollywood became after Pulp Fiction was released. For awhile in the mid-90's, it seemed like all movies had callous murders and gouts of blood spilling from bullet holes. Maybe that's just me.

Shockingly good performances from everybody in the show. Oh wait. Except for Julie Sweeny.

It's worth noting that the most exciting story in the show, "The Gold Watch", was actually written by Roger Avery, not Quentin. Whatever happened to Roger Avery anyway?

So to sum up, the show is still good. Even if you've seen it before, it's good to watch it an marvel at the number of cultural sayings and phenomena this movie spawned.
4 gold watches out of 5

No comments: