Sunday, December 13, 2009

Review of The Shawshank Redemption

The Shawshank Redemption is, according to the Internet Movie Database, the best movie of all time. It has stayed in that spot on the IMDb's list for most of the database's life, and I suspect it will be there for years to come. How odd that this movie was an unpopular choice with theatre-goers when it was first released.



I saw this film for the first time in 1994 at the long-gone Paradise Theatre in Saskatoon. In those days the Paradise stayed alive by showing double-features, and as I recall the first feature was Legends of the Fall. Let's say that after that particular monsterpiece, I was in barely a mood to enjoy yet another epic. But Shawshank won me over.

This was the movie that established Morgan Freeman as Hollywood's narrator of choice. After this, producers, being an unimaginative lot, could only think of him when they wanted somebody to talk about penguins or parapelegic boxers.

Also making a familiar appearance in this show is the Stephen King villain. In Shawshank, he appears as Warden Norton and Chief Hadley. The way you can identify a Stephen King villain is that he's a character with no redeeming personality traits whatsoever.

There was something about the dialogue in this show that struck me as being very similar to Titanic. It was a clunkiness that comes from uneducated characters waxing poetic when the screenwriter needs them, but saying really obvious, cheesy things at other moments.

You know, looking back on this review, it looks like I didn't like this show very much. But you know what? I did. I don't think it's the greatest movie ever made, but I still remember how the movie thrilled me when we discover what happened to Andy Dufresne the night he smuggled rope into his cell. While the dialogue may seem cheesy at times, there is enough poetry in it to keep me satisfied. Lastly, the ending is very satisfying.

4 rocks that have no business being in a Maine hayfield out of 5

No comments: